Eid el Maulud: Operation Safe Haven (OPSH), a special task force, has advised youths to abandon their plans to hold a mass procession in Jos to commemorate the Maulud.
The task force’s spokesman, Maj. Ishaku Takwa, issued the warning in a statement on Monday, adding that the military would not tolerate any acts that could jeopardise the state’s fragile peace.
The army also warned that anyone caught organising a procession without the permission of the Jama’atul Nasir Islam (JNI) and security agencies would face serious consequences.
“While we congratulate the entire Muslim Ummah on Prophet Muhammad’s (SAW) birthday and recognise the right of people to hold processions in various circumstances,” the army statement said, “it is prudent to state that the fragile peace on the Plateau does not present a conducive atmosphere for any form of procession at this time.”
Naija Gossip 247 : Social Media Set Ablaze as Video of Tiwa Savage With Unknown Boyfriend Leaks (Video)
“We, therefore, wish to draw the attention of youths and members of the public to the fact that the state government’s ban on any kind of protest and procession remains in effect,” it continued. As a result, we urge Muslim believers to observe Maulud without any form of procession.”
According to the statement, the task force commander, Maj.-Gen. Ibrahim Ali, directed troops to ensure that no group organises any sort of procession during the festivities.
He said the task force had been working to ensure a peaceful Plateau with the help of the Plateau government, traditional and religious leaders, key stakeholders, and law-abiding citizens.
Residents of the state were urged to be vigilant and report any suspicious movements to security agencies for prompt action, according to the army.