No fewer than 19 children have been reportedly drowned in a boat mishap on Saturday in Lafiagi, Edu Local Government Area of Kwara State.
The boat was conveying the victims across River Niger for a traditional wedding ceremony in a community in Niger.
The boat, conveying about 22 people mostly children, capsized while crossing the river.
A source told NAN that while two of the passengers were rescued, the 19 others drowned and died.
According to him, all effort to rescue other passengers proved abortive.
“As at yesterday evening, four corpses have been recovered from the river. Effort would resume this morning again to ensure that others also are found.
“Both men of the Nigeria Police and the State Fire Service were there yesterday in the rescue mission. Unfortunately only two of them survived,” the source said.
Meanwhile, Alhaji Sulyman Aliyu, the Secretary of the Lafiagi Traditional Council, has confirmed the incident.
Aliyu told NAN that the number of the victims could not be ascertained yet, noting that there was a conflict in the number.
“Definitely they are up to 12. The figure is between 12 and that 19 that you said ” he said.
The secretary also confirmed that four corpses were recovered on Saturday and that efforts to remove others would continue on Sunday.
The Public Relations Officer of the Kwara Police Command, DSP Ajayi Okasanmi, also confirmed the incident.
He told NAN that the officers of the force and other security agencies had joined the local government council to recover the corpses
Hot Jobs In Nigeria
- SaroAfrica Graduate Trainee 2022 (North and Middle-Belt)
- Dufil Prima Foods Plc Graduate Trainee Recruitment 2021/2022
- Massive Recruitment At Wema Bank Plc ( Apply Now )
- Titan Trust Bank Recruitment 2021/2022 For Graduates
- BUA Group Graduate Trainee Recruitment 2022
- Jobs in Nigeria Today at FHON Consulting Limited
- Saroafrica Graduate Trainee 2022 (East, West & South)
- Nigeria Customs Service Recruitment 2021/2022 – NCS Application Form & Portal Registration