Court Sentences Farouk Lawan To Seven Years In Prison .
Table of Contents
- 0.1 ALSO READ : Breaking: ECOWAS Court stops Nigerian govt from sanctioning, prosecuting Twitter users
- 0.2 ALSO READ : APC Reacts to #BuhariMustGo Protests, Issues Warning
- 0.3 ALSO READ : Nnamdi Kanu’s Agitation For Biafra Suffers Setback As S’East Governors, Ohaneze Spitfire.
- 0.4 # Court Sentences Farouk Lawan
- 1 Hot Nigerian Jobs | Share To Job Seekers [ Apply Now ]
A High Court in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) has sentenced the former Chairman of the House of Representatives ad-hoc committee on Petroleum Subsidy, Farouk Lawan to seven years in prison.
Lawan during trial on Tuesday was found guilty of count one, two, and three bothering on corruptly requesting for and obtaining same from Femi Otedola, in order to exonerate Zenon Petroleum and Gas Limited from the list of firms in the fuel subsidy scam.
Count one stated that the former Chairman, ad hoc committee on monitoring of fuel subsidy regime corruptly asked the Chairman of Zenon Petroleum and Gas Limited, Femi Otedola, for a bribe of $3 million as an inducement to remove the name of his company from the report of the House of Representatives Ad-hoc Committee on monitoring of fuel subsidy regime.
The presiding judge, Justice Angela Otaluka, stated that the evidence listed and submitted before the court by the prosecution counsel, remain unshaken during cross-examination.
The judge also remarked that the actions, comments, and submissions of the defendant and witnesses, in this case, substantiate the charge in the count.
Justice Otaluka added that the defendant demanded a balance of payment, after receiving the first and second tranche of the payment, and as at the early hours of 24th April 2012 when the accused received the second tranche, no complaint was made to any security agency or anti-corruption agencies, as he claims he accepted the money to show as evidence before the house.
ALSO READ : Nnamdi Kanu’s Agitation For Biafra Suffers Setback As S’East Governors, Ohaneze Spitfire.
The judge also added the defendant failed to convince the court that his acceptance of the said bribe was to serve as proof before the House Committee that the Chairman of Zelon Petroleum wishes to bribe the Committee involved in the probe.
For count one and two the court sentenced Lawan to seven years while for count three he was sentenced to five years.
The sentences are to run concurrently.
The court also ordered that the defendant return the sum of $500,000 to the Federal Government.
# Court Sentences Farouk Lawan
- United Capital Group Plc (UCAP) Graduate Trainee Program 2021
- Delta State Urban Water Corporation Recruitment For Graduates and SSCE
- Delta State Hospital Management Board Recruitment 2021 for SSCE & Graduates
- Massive Recruitment at United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA)
- 2021 Graduate Trainees Recruitment in a Manufacturing Company ( 3 positions )
- Vitafoam Nigeria Plc Job Recruitment for Graduates