A Lagos Federal High Court on Wednesday remanded an aide to the Senate President, Bukola Saraki, Gbenga Makanjuola in prison over alleged N3.5bn fraud.
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, had arraigned Makanjuola alongside a firm, Melrose General Services Limited; and one Obiorah Amobi before the Justice Babs Kuewumi-led court.
EFCC arraigned the accused persons on an 11 count charge bordering on conspiracy and money laundering.
In the charges, the anti-graft agency claimed that they committed the offence sometime in December 2016 in connivance with one Robert Mbonu, who is currently at large.
EFCC claimed that the accused persons, “took control of N3.5bn that was transferred from the Nigeria Governors Forum’s account into an Access Bank Plc account number 0005892453, operated by Melrose General Services Limited.”
The Commission said the suspects, “reasonably ought to have known that the said fund represented the proceeds of unlawful activities, to wit, conspiracy, stealing and fraud.”
Addressing the court, the prosecuting counsel for EFCC, Mr. Ekene Iheanacho, said the actions of the defendants was contrary to Section 15 (2) (d) of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act 2011 and are punishable under Section 15 (3)of the same Act.
When the charges were read, the accused persons, however, pleaded not guilty.
Read Also :Police Give Notorious Militant, ‘Overcomer’ 24 hours to Surrender Arms
Despite their not-guilty plea, the trial judge ordered that they be remanded in prison custody till October 9, when he would rule on their bail applications.
JOBS RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
- Nigerian Army Hospitals Graduate House Officers & Interns 2020 Recruitment
- Massive Job Recruitment at Uniterm Nigeria Limited (30 Positions)
- TOS TV Network 2020 Job Recruitment (23 Positions)
- National Identity Management Commission NIMC Recruitment 2020 (19 Positions)
- Fidelity Bank Plc Graduate Trainee Recruitment 2020
- Federal University of Petroleum Resources FUPRE Recruitment 2020 for Teaching And Non-Teaching Staff
- Lagos State Government Health Service Commission Massive Job Recruitment 2020 for Graduates
- Oyo State Teaching Service Commission (TESCOM) 2020 Massive Recruitment/
- FG officially Begins Recruitment of 774000 Nigerians, See How to Apply
- Federal Ministry of Water Resources 2020 Job Recruitment (3 Positions)
- DSS Recruitment Application Form 2020 is Out
- Nigeria Air Force 2020/2021 Massive Recruitment for Airmen/Airwomen form (BMTC 2020) is out
- Nigeria Police Force Recruitment form 2020
LATEST JOBS IN NIGERIA
For Breaking News, or Eye witness report Contact us on: SMS/Whatsapp: +2347033247217 Email: [email protected].com
NOTE : No Genuine Employer will Request for MONEY from Job Seekers
The views expressed in this article are the Author/writer’s, they do not reflect the views of EJES GIST NEWS. Please report any fake news or defamatory statements to [email protected]