Court convicts businessman for money laundering

0
Scale of justice

As it stands now, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has secured the conviction of Abdullahi Sani before Justice Lewis Allagoa of the Federal High Court Kano, on a one-count charge bordering on under declaration.

The charge reads: “That you, Abdullahi Sani, on or about December 31, 2018, at the Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport, Kano State, within the judicial division of this honourable court (at the currency declaration desk), with passport No. 09PC66281, while travelling with $207,000 USD to China and about to board Ethiopian Air with Flight No. ET940, failed to declare $121,000 USD to the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS), and thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 2(3) Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act 2011 (as amended) and punishable under Section 2(5) of the same Law.”

NCS officers had arrested the convict at the Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport during a routine check, and upon a search on him, it was discovered that he had $207,000, but declared only $86,000, leaving $121,000 undeclared.


READ ALSO : Four Sea pirates killed in Delta

He was subsequently handed over to the EFCC for further investigations.

Upon arraignment by the EFCC on February 6, he pleaded “not guilty” to the charge.

In a dramatic manner, however, he changed his plea to “guilty” when the matter came up on December 16.

At the resumed hearing yesterday, prosecuting counsel Nasiru Salele, while reviewing the facts of the case, called a witness, Hassan Yahaya.

Delivering judgment, Justice Allagoa pronounced Sani guilty as charged and convicted him accordingly.

The judge ordered him to forfeit 40 per cent of the undisclosed sum of money to the Federal Government. The remaining 60 per cent and the disclosed $86,000 were, however, ordered to be returned to him.

JOBS RECOMMENDED 4 YOU  

  1. United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA) 2020 Job Recruitment –3 Positions
    Massive Recruitment at Fortune Marine & Energy Services Limited
  2. Massive Recruitment at  Oyo  state civil service commission 
  3. 2020 Massive Recruitment at The American University of Nigeria
  4. Ongoing Jobs Recruitment in a Reputable Plastic Manufacturing Company in Lagos

RECOMMENDED LINKS


LIKE OUR PAGES TO GET LATEST UPDATES

7,251FansLike
600,234FollowersFollow
352FollowersFollow

LATEST POST

Covid-19-support Loan , cbn loan


For Breaking News, or Eye witness report Contact us on: SMS/Whatsapp: +2347033247217 Email: [email protected].com


NOTE :  No Genuine Employer will Request for MONEY from Job Seekers


The views expressed in this article are the Author/writer’s, they do not reflect the views of EJES GIST NEWS. Please report any fake news or defamatory statements to [email protected]

LATEST JOBS IN NIGERIA

TOP TRENDING POST

MOST POPULAR JOBS

HOT JOBS RECOMMEND FOR YOU

Polaris Bank Limited 2020 Recruitment for Cashiers

Federal University of Kashere 2020 Job Recruitment

Hot Job Vacancies at Federal Medical Centre, Keffi

Edo State College of Agriculture 2020 Massive Recruitment

 Vacancies at Flour Mills of Nigeria Plc

Federal University of Kashere 2020 Job Recruitment

University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital (UITH) latest Job Vacancies

Dangote Refinery Recruitment for June 2020 –9 Positions

Stanbic IBTC Bank Recruitment Form 2020,

Edo State College of Agriculture 2020 Massive Recruitment

Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (FMARD)

Lagos State Teachers Recruitment 2020 for NCE, B.Sc

2020 Massive recruitment at American University of Nigeria

2020 Massive Recruitment at Ekiti State College of Agriculture and Technology

HotJobs at Federal University of Technology

TYPE HERE TO QUICK SEARCH FOR JOBS & NEWS


Click Here To Get Latest Jobs In Your Inbox Everyday

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.