CHAIRMAN, Imo State Taskforce on COVID-19, Maurice Iwu, yesterday, declared that the drug for the treatment of the dreaded coronavirus will be ready soon when the testing of the vaccine is completed.
Iwu, the professor of Pharmacognosy from the University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) who gave the assurance in Owerri had presented a plant-based patented treatment for COVID-19 to the Minister of Science and Technology, Dr. Ogbonnaya Onu which is now being tested in United States.
The professor who made this known in an interview with newsmen in Owerri shortly after Seplat Petroleum and Waltersmith Oil Ltd donated COVID-19 preventive material to the state government, revealed that there is a positive sign that it would soon be ready.
According to him, “the work on the drug we are developing is still going on. We are encouraged by the result we are getting. We are getting very positive signs.”
“Luckily the drug is a safe one. It is drug already in use. We are repurposing it for this particular purpose. So when we finished the studying and testing we are doing, I think the drug will come up in line very soon. ”
He further added, “if the pandemic escalates, the NAFDAC will know what to do, like they did in USA to fast track the use of Chloroquine.
The prof noted that NAFDAC will know what to do if there is serious need. “Right now, the product is in human use, what we are doing is to repurpose it for this particular event, ” he said.
He said that Imo State Government was doing everything humanly possible to prevent the virus from getting hold in the state.
“We have a vertical integration with the federal government whereby the state Ministry of Health is working assiduously with the National Centre for Disease Control. We have equipment centre that is ready and have configured isolation centres.
“There is no confirmed incident in the state, but that does not mean the fear is not there,” he stated.
Pay Attention To:
- Link To Check Immigration Recruitment Shortlisted Candidates 2021 Screening Exercise
- Sahara Group Graduate Upstream Trainee Program 2021
- United Nations recruitment for a Programme Officer
- Link to Check Names Of Shortlisted NDLEA Candidates For Final Screening – NDLEA List Of Shortlisted Candidates 2021 Is Out
- Graduate Interns in a Major Oil Servicing Company
- Danish Refugee Council (DRC) recruitment for a Supply Chain Assistant – Procurement
- Citibank Nigeria Limited Recruitment for Credit Risk Senior Analyst
- Current Ongoing Recruitment at Softcom Limited ( 16 Positions )
- 2021 Ongoing Recruitment at Seven-Up Bottling Company Limited
- NIPCO Gas Limited Recruitment for Graduate