An explosion hit a Catholic church during Palm Sunday celebrations, leaving at least 14 injured.
In a press conference, national police spokesperson Argo Yuwono said the suspected suicide bombing occurred outside the Sacred Heart of Jesus Cathedral in Makassar city, Sulawesi island, at about 10:30 a.m. on Sunday, just after mass had ended. The majority of the casualties are security guards and worshippers.
The new blast follows a series of attacks on churches in 2018, which killed more than a dozen people and prompted President Joko Widodo to call for tougher anti-terror legislation. After its independence in 1945, Indonesia, which has the world’s largest Muslim community, has fought extremism.
Two people on a motorcycle attempted to enter the churchyard but were stopped by security when the explosion occurred, according to initial reports on the latest attack, Yuwono said.
Source : Bloomberg
Latest Jobs in Nigeria Now
- INEC Recruitment for Observers
- Nigeria Police Recruitment Portal 2022 Open for Applications
- Nigerian Navy Recruitment 2022 Exercise for SSCE, OND, NCE Application Guidelines
- Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority (NSIA) Graduate Programme 2022
- INEC Adhoc Staff Recruitment Portal 2022 for 2023 Election | INEC Recruitment Portal login 2022