An explosion hit a Catholic church during Palm Sunday celebrations, leaving at least 14 injured.
In a press conference, national police spokesperson Argo Yuwono said the suspected suicide bombing occurred outside the Sacred Heart of Jesus Cathedral in Makassar city, Sulawesi island, at about 10:30 a.m. on Sunday, just after mass had ended. The majority of the casualties are security guards and worshippers.
The new blast follows a series of attacks on churches in 2018, which killed more than a dozen people and prompted President Joko Widodo to call for tougher anti-terror legislation. After its independence in 1945, Indonesia, which has the world’s largest Muslim community, has fought extremism.
Two people on a motorcycle attempted to enter the churchyard but were stopped by security when the explosion occurred, according to initial reports on the latest attack, Yuwono said.
Source : Bloomberg
Hot Nigerian Jobs [ Apply Now ]
- Citibank Nigeria Limited Recruitment for Credit Risk Senior Analyst
- Frsc Recruitment 2021 July/August Form Portal | Apply Here | FRSC recruitment Login Portal
- Dangote Oil Refinery Recruitment for Security Operative
- Chapel Hill Denham Management Development Programme 2021
- Ongoing Job recruitment at International Breweries Plc (Anheuser-Busch InBev)
- Lagos State Teacher Recruitment Form 2021 is out