Ahead of the 2019 general elections, Catholic Bishops Conference of Nigerian (CBCN) has barred its priests and religious leaders from endorsing aspirants to elective offices.
They are also not to allow politicians use the church premises or property for any political event.
CBCN in a statement by its President, Most Rev Augustine Akubeze and Secretary, Most Rev Camillus Umoh warned that it will sanction any clergy or religious leader that flouts the new order.
The CBCN further said: “We, the members of the Catholic Bishops Conference of Nigeria (CBCN), as teachers of the faith and morals, do have the serious obligation to educate our faithful on their role in the political life of the country.
“We have observed that the political atmosphere is very tensed and also noticed the political realignment that is taking place.
“Some politicians are changing political parties and urging their supporters to switch over their support to their new parties as well. Given this development, we wish to use this opportunity to make it clear that the Catholic Church remains ever apolitical and does not endorse or subscribe to any political party.”
Reacting to the directive from Catholic Church, Some Nigerians urge other Nigerian pastors, Bishops to follow the Catholic Church directive since they are the mother church.
Hot Jobs In Nigeria
- Nationwide Massive Recruitment for Relationship Officers at United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA)
- Massive Job Recruitment in a Leading Group of Companies
- UNICEF Recruitment 2021 for Graduates in Nigeria (September)
- Massive Recruitment in an Indigenous Non-profit and Non-governmental Organization
- Massive Job Recruitment at GPC Energy and Logistics Limited
- National Agency for the Control of AIDS NACA Recruitment 2021 for Finance Officer
- Current Job Vacancies at Wateraid Nigeria
- Ends Soon : Greenwich Merchant Bank (GMB) Graduate Trainee Program (GGTP4.0) 2021
- Massive recruitment at Achievers University for Academic and Non-Academic Staff ( 106 Slots )