Catalan parliament has voted to declare independence from Spain.
Base on report gathered about seventy lawmakers voted in favour, 10 voted against, while two cast blank ballots.
The decision was made during a secret vote in Barcelona on Friday afternoon.
The names of those who voted for independence was withheld, as the Spanish attorney general promised to charge those who voted in favour of independence with "rebellion".
The declaration comes as the Spanish government is set to vote on the application of Article 155 of the Constitution, which allows Madrid to directly administer the breakaway region.
Two right-wing parties, Citizens (Cs) and People's Party (PP), along with the centre-left Socialist Party of Catalonia (PSC), left the Catalan parliament before the vote in protest.
Alberto Rivera, president of Cs, took to Twitter to call the vote "illegal". Miguel Iceta of the PSC said it was a "spectacular error".
During the special plenary in the Catalan parliament on Friday, Carles Riera from the far-left Popular Unity Candidacy party, asked that the declaration be voted upon.
"We take this step on our feet, with our heads held high. Not on our knees like subjects, but as free people without fear," he said.
Earlier in the day, Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy of PP addressed the Spanish Senate, from which an absolute majority of votes was required to enact Article 155.
Rajoy said Catalan President Carles Puigdemont "was the one who decided to continue moving forward with the process for applying Article 155. It was him and only him."
Four objectives for enacting the article were given by Rajoy: Returning to legality, recovering trust, maintaining high levels of economic growth while creating new jobs and celebrating elections in a situation of normalcy.
The debate consisted of whether or not Spain has right to defend its laws and Constitution against challenges, not against Catalonia.
"The thing that threatens Catalonia is not Article 155, but [the Catalan government]," Rajoy said.
Mirella Cortes, a senator from the Catalan Republican Left (ERC) party, said the Catalans will take "not one step back. Long live the Catalan republic."
Catalans voted in a disputed independence referendum on October 1 that was ruled illegal by the Spanish Constitutional Court and met with police violence, which was condemned by rights groups and European leaders.
The Catalan government said 90 percent voted for independence, but turnout was less than 50 percent.
Puigdemont announced independence on October 10, but suspended the declaration after eight seconds to encourage dialogue with Madrid.
No dialogue is known to have taken place.
QUICK SEARCH FOR JOBS IN YOUR FIELD
- Fani-Kayode laments, Nigeria is sitting on a keg of gunpowder
- Kill bandits anywhere you find them –Buhari orders troops (video)
- Bloody clash averted as Ijaw youths confront Asari Dokubo over Biafran meeting
- Attack on Ekweremadu, warning to leaders, politicians – Nigerians react
- Osas Ighodaro finally removes her hubby's surname 'Ajibade' from her Instagram page (Photos)
DON’T GIVE UP HUNTING FOR JOB
HOT JOBS, RECOMMEND FOR YOU
- NIGERIA SECURITY AND CIVIL DEFENCE CORPS 2019 Massive Recruitment
- National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) Recruitment 2019
- Dangote Cement Plc, Recruitment 8th August 2019
- Dangote Refinery Recruitment 2019: Latest Vacancies ( 4 Slots )
- IROKO TV Partners Limited massive recruitment for Outbound Telesales Agents (500 slots )
- Edo State Government 2019 Apprenticeship Programme
- Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) recruitment for Observers in Kogi and Bayelsa States, August 2019
- Kaduna State Government 2019 Massive Recruitment for Entry-level & Exp
- Entry Level Bank Tellers recruitment in a Reputable Bank in Lagos, August 2019
- Entry Level Recruitment at UBA Bank, 1st August, 2019
- Ongoing Recruitment For Customer Service Representatives In A Renowned Commercial Bank ( Nationwide )
- Massive Recruitment at Titan Trust Bank Limited, (18 Positions )
- Julius Berger Nigeria Plc : Latest Recruitment
- First Bank of Nigeria 2019 Recruitment for 19th, July 2019 [ 8 Position ]
FEDERAL GOVERNMENT JOBS
JOBS BY CATEGORIES
- Abia State 10
- ABUJA FCT 34
- Adamawa State 15
- Akwa Ibom State 13
- Anambra State 10
- Apprenticeship training 3
- Banking Industry 29
- Bauchi State 8
- Bayelsa State 9
- Benue State 7
- Borno State 15
- Career Tips 7
- Construction Company 8
- Contract Job 6
- Cross River State 12
- Delta State 11
- Ebonyi State 10
- Edo State 14
- Ekiti State 10
- Engineering Jobs 15
- Entry-level Jobs 224
- Enugu State 8
- Featured 12
- FEDERAL GOVERNMENT RECRUITMENT IN NIGERIA 1
- Full time jobs 1019
- Gombe State 9
- Google AdSense know how 6
- Hotel Management/hospitality company 4
- HOW TO MAKE MONEY ONLINE 1
- Imo State 8
- Internship Jobs 36
- Jigawa State 7
- JOB FOR SSCE 64
- Jobs and Recruitment 1503
- Jobs for LEGAL/Law 6
- Jobs in Education 10
- JOBS IN NORTHERN NIGERIA 126
- JOBS IN SOUTH EAST 92
- JOBS IN SOUTH SOUTH 136
- JOBS IN SOUTH WEST 290
- Jos 6
- Kaduna State 13
- Kano State 9
- Katsina State 8
- Kebbi State 7
- Kogi State 9
- Kwara State 10
- Lagos State 140
- Management and Logistics Company 7
- Manager jobs 7
- Manufacturing Industry 8
- Marketing Jobs 2
- Medical /Health 13
- MSC/MS / PHD 52
- Nasarawa State 7
- NCE/OND/HND/BSC 1102
- NGO / Community Services 2
- Nigeria Election 2
- Ogun State 14
- Oil and Gas Company 27
- Ondo State 9
- Osun State 9
- Oyo State 12
- Part Time Jobs 8
- PASS QUESTIONS 1
- Plateau 6
- Rivers State 25
- SCHOLARSHIP Jobs 6
- Sokoto State 7
- Taraba State 8
- Yobe State 8
- Zamfara State 7