The National Democracy Stakeholders Group (NSDG), a pro-democracy and non-profit organisation, says President Muhammadu Buhari will lead the 2018 edition of Democracy Solidarity Walk.
NSDG’ Convener, Mr Kletsaint Akor, who briefed newsmen on Sunday in Abuja, said that Buhari would lead the walk which would be held on May 29 at Eagles Square, Abuja.
He said that the walk, organised by NSDG in collaboration with state and non-state partners, would also be led by governors in the 36 state capitals across Nigeria.
According to Akor, the walk, which is the fourth edition with the theme “Walk for Credible, Free and Fair 2019 Elections”, is expected to attract over 1 million people nationwide.
Akor said that the aim of the exercise was to moblise Nigerians to take ownership of the 2019 electoral process through participation, enlightenment and protections of Nigeria’s nascent democracy.
“The 2018 edition of the annual Democracy Solidarity Walk will be led by President Muhammadu Buhari in Abuja and the governors in each of the 36 states.
“It is expected to draw participation from all Nigerian democracy stakeholders, including representatives of the Nigerian Labour Congress(NLC), Trade Union Congress(TUC), political parites, National Orientation Agency, aspirants to elective political offices.
“Others expected to participate are the media, pro-democracy groups, civil society groups, development partners, students union representatives, Non-Governmental Organisations and ordinary Nigerian citizens whose best interests are served by credible elections,’’ he said.
He said that the first Democracy Walk, which took place in May 2009 to celebrate Nigeria’s first ever 10 years of uninterrupted democratic governance since independence in 1960, drew a huge participation.
Akor said that the event was marked again in 2013 and 2017 and had grown into a major component of Nigeria’s annual Democracy Day celebrations as Nigerians had realized that there was no alternative to democracy.
The NSDG convener said that adequate security would be provided by the Nigeria police and other security agencies throughout the walk.
Credited Ejesgist and NaN
Pay Attention To:
- Current Job Recruitment in Nigeria at Daltrade Nigeria Limited
- Link To Check Immigration Recruitment Shortlisted Candidates 2021 Screening Exercise
- Current Ongoing Recruitment at Softcom Limited ( 16 Positions )
- Current Job Recruitment at FrieslandCampina WAMCO Nigeria Plc
- NIPCO Gas Limited Recruitment for Graduate
- Link to Check Names Of Shortlisted NDLEA Candidates For Final Screening – NDLEA List Of Shortlisted Candidates 2021 Is Out
- Graduate Interns in a Major Oil Servicing Company
- United Nations recruitment for a Programme Officer
- Sahara Group Graduate Upstream Trainee Program 2021
- 2021 Ongoing Recruitment at Seven-Up Bottling Company Limited