Femi Falana (SAN), a human rights lawyer, claims that calling for President Muhammadu Buhari’s resignation is not a crime.
The arrest of Salihu Yakasai, a former special adviser on media to Kano State Governor Abdullahi Ganduje, is linked to Falana’s statement.
Yakasai was apprehended by state security operatives shortly after criticising President Buhari on Twitter.
Falana, in response to Yakassai’s arrest, condemned the Department of State Services’ action, claiming that there was no justification for Yakassai’s arrest and detention.
The rights activist noted that many politicians and activists have continued to call for Buhari’s resignation due to the deteriorating security situation across the country in a statement titled, “Asking Buhari to Resign is Not An Offense.”
He went on to say that in the past, those who called for former presidents to resign were not intimidated or arrested.
Between 2013 and 2014, the APC and its leaders, including General Mohammadu Buhari, National Leader Asiwaju Bola Tinibu, Malam Nasir El-rufai, and Alhaji Lai Mohammed, repeatedly called for the resignation of former President Goodluck Jonathan.
Nonetheless, they were never threatened for exercising their right to freedom of expression at the time. Since other concerned individuals and groups are likely to continue to call for President Buhari’s resignation due to the virtual collapse of the security architecture.”
Falana demanded Mr Tanko-immediate Yankassai’s and unconditional release from illegal detention.
He did say, however, that if the State Security Service has evidence that the “political detainee” has committed a crime, he should be handed over to the police for a thorough investigation and possible prosecution.
- Massive Recruitment at the Enugu State Water Corporation
- Kwara State Civil Service Commission Massive Recruitment 2021
Latest Jobs in Nigeria
Hot Nigerian Jobs 🔥
- NIPCO Gas Limited Recruitment for Graduate
- Access Bank Plc Entry Level Recruitment 2021
- Nigerian Breweries Graduate Management Development Scheme 2021
- 2021 Massive Recruitment at Edo State College of Agriculture for Academic and Non-Teaching Staff
- First Bank Recruitment 2021 for March / April (7 Positions)
- Massive Recruitment at the Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Bank Teller Job Hiring at Tribest Corporate Support Limited
From Ejes Gist Nigeria
The views expressed in this article are the writer’s opinion, they do not reflect the views of the Publisher of www.ejesgist.com Please report any fake news , misinformation or defamatory statements to email@example.com
Guides For Jobs
Federal Government Agencies
(Check Updates & Current Status of Federal Government Job Recruitment Form)
Jobs in Nigeria by State