Buhari Orders Publication Of Names Of All Suspected Looters......

The Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice Abukabar Malami, SAN has disclosed that President Muhammadu Buhari has directed all relevant agencies to compile documents on names of all looters with a view to promptly enforcing the judgment of a Federal High Court in Lagos ordering the government to release to Nigerians information about the names of high ranking public officials from whom public funds were recovered.

The court also ordered the government to tell Nigerians the circumstances under which funds were recovered, as well as the exact amount of funds recovered from each public official.

Mr Malami made the disclosure on Wednesday during a meeting at his office in Abuja with a delegation from Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP).

This development was disclosed on Thursday  in a statement by SERAP executive director, Adetokunbo Mumuni.

Mumuni said, “We had a very productive meeting with Mr Malami, discussing among other critical issues the need for the government to obey the judgment delivered in July by Hon Justice Hadiza Rabiu Shagari following a Freedom of Information suit number: FHC/CS/964/2016 brought by SERAP.”

According to Mumuni, “Mr Malami informed us that President Buhari has directed the Ministry of Justice, Ministry of Finance, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) and other relevant agencies involved in the recovery of looted funds to promptly put the documents together with a view to fully and promptly enforcing the judgment by Justice Shagari.

“We appreciate the opportunity to meet with the Attorney General of the Federation and look forward to working with him as the government strives to enforce this very important judgment. We hope that the implementation of the judgment will now happen sooner rather than later. We believe that effectively implementing the judgment will be a victory for the rule of law, show the way forward in the fight against corruption and impunity of perpetrators in the country, as well as demonstrate Buhari’s oft-repeated commitment to tackling the problem of grand corruption.”

It would be recalled that the SERAP suit followed disclosure last year by the Federal Government of funds recovered from some high-ranking public officials and private individuals.

In her judgment delivered on 5th July 2017 Justice Shagari agreed with SERAP that “the Federal Government has legally binding obligations to tell Nigerians the names of all suspected looters of the public treasury past and present.” Joined as Defendants in the suit are the Minister of Information Alhaji Lai Muhammed and the Federal Ministry of Information and Culture.

The same day that the judgment was delivered, Mr Malami told reporters in Abuja that government was in agreement with the ruling and would carry out the order as long as it does not amount to sub-judice.

Justice Shagari also granted a declaration that by virtue of the provisions of Section 4 (a) of the Freedom of Information Act 2011, the defendants are under a binding legal obligation to provide the Plaintiff with up to date information relating to the following:

To widely disseminate including on a dedicated website information about the names of high ranking public officials from whom public funds were recovered since May 2015
The circumstances under which stolen public funds were returned

It would be recalled that the Ministry of Information last year published details of the recoveries, which showed that the Nigerian government successfully retrieved total cash amount N78,325,354,631.82, $185,119,584.61, £3,508,355.46 and €11, 250 between May 29, 2015 and May 25, 2016. Also released were recoveries under interim forfeiture, which were a combination of cash and assets, during the same period: N126,563,481,095.43, $9,090,243,920.15, £2,484,447.55 and €303,399.17. Anticipated repatriation from foreign countries totalled: $321,316,726.1, £6,900,000 and €11,826.11. The ministry also announced that 239 non-cash recoveries were made during the one-year period. The non-cash recoveries are – farmlands, plots of land, uncompleted buildings, completed buildings, vehicles and maritime vessels.

Subsequently, SERAP issued an FOI request and gave the Minister of Information, Alhaji Lai Muhammed 14 days to disclose the names of all suspected looters.

FOLLOW US ON

6,356FansLike
2,035FollowersFollow

TYPE HERE TO QUICK SEARCH FOR JOBS


Got A News , looking for workers, Submit Vacancies, Press Release or Sponsored Publication? Send It To Us Via Email: [email protected] or Call : 07033247217


Click Here To Get Latest Jobs In Your Inbox Everyday

 


SCAM ALERT : EJE’S GIST will Never Ask for MONEY for Job Recruitment or Application


LATEST JOBS IN NIGERIA

DON’T GIVE UP HUNTING FOR JOB, TRUST IN GOD

HOT JOBS,  RECOMMEND FOR YOU

Lagos State 2019/2020 Teachers Recruitment form is out

Ongoing recruitment at National Agency for the Control of AIDS, 11th November 2019 (naca.gov.ng)

Ogun State 2019/2020 Teachers Massive Recruitment Application form is out.

Ogun State Anchor Borrower Program for 10,000 people

Imo State Universal Basic Education Board (IMSUBEB) 2019 Massive Recruitment

Massive Recruitment for Medical & Health workers in Oyo State Hospitals

Graduate Trainee recruitment at Coronation Group, November 2019 ( 7 Positions )

Massive Job recruitment at ipNX Nigeria Limited ( 20 positions )

Nigerian Air Force (NAF) 2019 Massive Recruitment

Massive Recruitment at Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital, 22nd October 2019

Emerald Foods & Beverage Company Limited recruitment for Direct Sales Agents ( 6 States )

Massive Graduate Recruitment at Achieving Health Nigeria Initiative (AHNi), 17th October 2019

PZ Cussons Nigeria Plc Engineering Graduate Trainee Recruitment 2019

 

JOBS BY CATEGORIES

SPONSORED

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.