Reno Omokri, a former aide to former President Goodluck Jonathan, has slammed the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, for claiming that the Federal Government and its security agencies know where kidnappers and robbers are hiding but are just being cautious.
Last October, soldiers allegedly opened fire on #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki toll gate in Lagos, injuring over 30 protesters and allegedly killing some of them, according to Omokri.
Ejes Gist Nigeria previously announced that the minister said at a press conference on Tuesday that the government did know where kidnappers were hiding out, but that security forces were only being cautious to prevent civilian casualties.
“Using coercion against one’s own citizens is one of the most difficult things for a freely elected government to do. While the nation’s military has superior weaponry against the ragtag band of Boko Haram and ISWA, terrorists most often operate among the population, either in our villages or cities, so the military is vigilant to prevent collateral damage when dealing with them.
“Kidnappers who kidnap our schoolchildren face the same fate. While security forces are usually aware of the kidnappers’ position, they must exercise caution in order to avoid harming the children they are attempting to rescue. Despite these constraints, the security forces have the capability to confront the challenges decisively,” Mohammed had said.
“Lai Mohammed says the Buhari government knows where kidnappers are, but they are just being ‘careful,’” Omokri wrote in a series of tweets on Wednesday. But why was the Buhari administration so careless during the #LekkiMassacre or when Nigerian Shiites were massacred? Why is it that they just show mercy to kidnappers?
“Why is your government talking to bandits and herders now, Lai?” Did you make a ‘appeal’ to the #EndSARS protestors or the people of Orlu before slaughtering them? The Buhari administration is a waste of time!”