Unknown Gunmen assassinate the traditional monarch and set fire to more than 50 homes.
Some unidentified gunmen assaulted Oju Local Government Area in Benue State, killing Chief Okpe Denis Ijoko, the traditional ruler of the Ochoro village.
During the attack, the perpetrators also burned over 50 houses in another town, Ukpute, as well as other important possessions, EJES GIST NEWS gathered.
ALSO READ: FLASHBACK: Buhari will command larger force than those battling Boko Haram against me – Sunday Igboho ( Video )
Anene Sewuese Catherine, the state’s Police Public Relations Officer, claimed she is yet to received the report.
In a chat with EJES GIST NEWS, a Senior Lecturer at Benue State University, Dr John Ogi, an indigene of the local government, corroborated the incident.
Dr. Ogi attributed the tragedy to a year-long conflict between the Tivs and the Igede in the area, claiming that the two tribes have been at odds for a year.
“This situation has been going on for a year, and the administration has been completely silent,” he said.
He revealed that the assassinated chief was kidnapped and murdered by his kidnappers.
“The chief was in his bathroom when the militias raided his community and kidnapped him along with an eight-year-old child to an unknown destination,” he explained.
Hot Nigerian Jobs | Share To Job Seekers [ Apply Now ]
- Massive Recruitment at United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA)
- Delta State Hospital Management Board Recruitment 2021 for SSCE & Graduates
- Delta State Urban Water Corporation Recruitment For Graduates and SSCE
- Vitafoam Nigeria Plc Job Recruitment for Graduates
- United Capital Group Plc (UCAP) Graduate Trainee Program 2021
- 2021 Graduate Trainees Recruitment in a Manufacturing Company ( 3 positions )