Senator Nelson Effiong, the immediate past Senator representing Akwa Ibom South (Eket Senatorial District) at the Red Chamber, was kidnapped by gunmen, according to reports.
The Oron-born Senator was reportedly apprehended by three armed hoodlums late Sunday night at his lounge, a popular hangout along Oron Road in Uyo, the state capital.
Eight customers were injured in the stampede that ensued as patrons scurried for safety amid hails of bullets fired at random by the hoodlums.
“I was just shot along Oron Road,” one of the victims, Erick Ekwere, cried out on social media, pleading with security agencies to intervene.
“On Sunday night, around 9:00 p.m., an incident occurred. The armed men stormed the sit-out in a Toyota Camry car and began shooting at random, sending customers and other guests fleeing for safety before heading straight for the former Senator, according to a source.
The hoodlums later whisked Senator Nelson Effiong, the former Speaker of the state House of Assembly, away in a Toyota Camry car to an unknown destination for ransom money to be negotiated, according to the source.
Mr Odiko Macdon, a Police Superintendent (SP), was unable to pick up calls or respond to text messages, but the Commissioner of Police (CP), Mr Amiengheme Andrew, assured that “a statement on the matter will be made.”
Hot Jobs In Nigeria
- Nationwide Massive Recruitment for Relationship Officers at United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA)
- Massive Recruitment in an Indigenous Non-profit and Non-governmental Organization
- National Agency for the Control of AIDS NACA Recruitment 2021 for Finance Officer
- Massive Job Recruitment at GPC Energy and Logistics Limited
- Ends Soon : Greenwich Merchant Bank (GMB) Graduate Trainee Program (GGTP4.0) 2021
- Current Job Vacancies at Wateraid Nigeria
- Massive Job Recruitment in a Leading Group of Companies
- Massive recruitment at Achievers University for Academic and Non-Academic Staff ( 106 Slots )
- UNICEF Recruitment 2021 for Graduates in Nigeria (September)