On Thursday, members of the Bauchi State Police Command assaulted Damisa Yusuf, a reporter for Africa Independent Television (AIT).
Yusuf, a journalist covering a protest by students at Yelwa’s College of Agriculture, was brutally assaulted by men from the Rapid Response Team without provocation.
ALSO READ : Breaking: High Court Stops APC Congresses
The students were said to be protesting over farmland that was once claimed by the institution but was recently awarded to some land vendors following years of litigation.
During the encounter, police officers confiscated the journalist’s camera, laptop, phone, and wallet.
In a statement, Patrick Abulu, Chairman of the Nigerian Union of Journalists, DAAR communication chapel, confirmed the attack.
The statement read, “The Nigerian Union of Journalists, DAAR HQ Chapel strongly condemns the alleged assault on Damina Yusuf, a reporter with the Africa Independent Television (AIT) in Bauchi Station, by a band of reckless Rapid Response Team attached to the Bauchi State Police Command on Thursday, July 29, 2021, in Bauchi metropolis by a band of reckless Rapid Response Team attached to the Bauchi State Police Command.”
“Damina Yusuf was on his official assignment when he was approached and assaulted by Rapid Response Team officers without provocation. The NUJ condemns this act of police brutality as completely unjustified and unacceptably inhumane in any civilised society.
“The NUJ is outraged by the police’s reckless abuse of authority against a journalist on official business, which resulted in the confiscation of his work tools, including an HD camera, a laptop, a mobile phone, and his wallet. The NUJ demands that Damina Yusuf receive immediate and comprehensive treatment from police authorities, as well as the immediate return of all items seized from him.
“While the NUJ applauds Bauchi State Police Commissioner CP Sylverster Alabi for directing State Police Public Relations Officer PPRO Muhammed Wakil to monitor Journalist Damina Yusuf’s healing process, it demands a full investigation into the alleged assault.
Hot Jobs In Nigeria
- Massive recruitment at Achievers University for Academic and Non-Academic Staff ( 106 Slots )
- Nationwide Massive Recruitment for Relationship Officers at United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA)
- Current Job Vacancies at Wateraid Nigeria
- Massive Job Recruitment in a Leading Group of Companies
- UNICEF Recruitment 2021 for Graduates in Nigeria (September)
- Massive Job Recruitment at GPC Energy and Logistics Limited
- National Agency for the Control of AIDS NACA Recruitment 2021 for Finance Officer
- Ends Soon : Greenwich Merchant Bank (GMB) Graduate Trainee Program (GGTP4.0) 2021
- Massive Recruitment in an Indigenous Non-profit and Non-governmental Organization