Onyekachi Nwebonyi, the embattled Chairman of the People’s Democratic Party in Ebonyi State, has officially defected to the All Progressives Congress. Associated Press (APC)
After Governor David Umahi defected to the APC, Nwebonyi was ousted as PDP chairman.
ALSO READ : AFCON Qualifiers results Match Day 5
After Nwebonyi was fired, the PDP’s national leadership, headed by Chief Uche Secondus, appointed a caretaker committee, led by Elder Fred Udeogu, to oversee the party’s affairs in the state.
A parallel state executive was established by Nwebonyi’s faction.
His troubles started when he told his former party’s leadership that the presidential ticket for 2023 would be zoned to the south east within 14 days.
On Saturday, he declared his resignation and immediate defection to the ruling APC at Pa Ngele Oruta Township Stadium in Abakaliki, citing the PDP’s undemocratic practises as the reason for his decision.
The party expressed disappointment with its Southeast zonal leadership as well as the national leadership’s stance on the issue of zoning the 2023 presidential ticket in a communiqué signed by Nwebonyi and all members of the PDP State Executive Committee; all Chairmen of 13 LGA Chapters; and all Chairmen of 171 ward chapters of the PDP.
Stanley Emegha, the APC’s state chairman, who welcomed them, described their decision as wise.
He also urged them to register with the APC in their different wards.
Elder Udugo, speaking on behalf of the PDP, said Nwebonyi had lost his membership in the party following his expulsion, emphasising that his resignation and defection to the APC was merely a charade.
Udugo urged all PDP supporters to remain steadfast and concentrate on the task of re-energizing themselves in preparation for the 2023 election.
Hot Nigerian Jobs [ Apply Now ]
- Dangote Group Recruitment 2021 For Graduates in Nigeria
- INEC Recruitment 2021 for Observers
- Thomas Adewumi University Massive Recruitment for Academic and Non Academic Staff
- Ekiti State Government Recruitment for Graduates
- Massive Recruitment at the Society for Family Health
- Lagos State Independent Electoral Commission Massive Recruitment for ADHOC Staff
- Current Ongoing Recruitment at Gemstone Microfinance
- Massive Recruitment at Rainoil Limited
- Latest Job Recruitment at Wema Bank Plc for Graduates
- BEDC Electricity Plc Graduate Trainee Programme 2021