Mrs Okonjo-Iweala was confirmed DG of the trade body in a statement by the WTO on Monday.
The United States government had last week announced its endorsement of Mrs Okonjo-Iweala for the top job.
It became clear earlier on Friday that Mrs Okonjo-Iweala, a former World Bank executive, would likely clinch the coveted post after her final challenger to the position, South Korean Trade Minister and candidate, Yoo Myung-hee, announced her withdrawal.
Ms Yoo made the decision after discussions with the U.S. and other major nations, a statement from Korea’s trade ministry said on Friday.
She also took various issues into account “comprehensively” including the need to revitalise the multilateral organization, reports said Friday.
Last October, the World Trade Organisation selected Mrs Okonjo-Iweala and Ms Yoo to advance to the final round in the race to lead the Geneva-based trade body.
Mrs Okonjo-Iweala is, however, largely considered the shoo-in among experts and influential figures within the WTO.
Mrs Okonjo-Iweala was Nigeria’s finance minister during the tenures of former presidents Olusegun Obasanjo and Goodluck Jonathan. She has experience working at international governance bodies as a former managing director of the World Bank and as a chairman at the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunization.
With Mrs Okonjo-Iweala’s emergence, the WTO now has its first female director-general in its 25-year history.
Hot Nigerian Jobs 🔥
- Edo State Civil Service Commission Recruitment 2021
- Dangote Cement Recruitment for Graduate
- Akwa Ibom State Polytechnic Massive Recruitment for Academic and Non-Academic Staff
- Wema Bank Plc Recruitment 2021 for Retail Relationship Management Officers
- Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN Recruitment 2021 ) of Independent Infrastructure Asset Manager
- 2021 Massive Recruitment at the Management Sciences for Health
- Massive Graduate Management Trainee Recruitment 2021 at Food Concepts Plc
- Polaris Bank Entry Level Graduate Recruitment 2021 (Nationwide)
- Nigerian Air Force Recruitment 2021 for Airmen / Airwomen
- Nigerian Army 2021 Nationwide Massive Recruitment for Trades/Non Tradesmen & Women (81RRI)
From Ejes Gist Nigeria
The views expressed in this article are the writer’s opinion, they do not reflect the views of the Publisher of EJES GIST NIGERIA. Please report any fake news , misinformation or defamatory statements to email@example.com
Guides For Jobs
Federal Government Agencies
(Check Updates & Current Status of Federal Government Job Recruitment Form)
Jobs in Nigeria by State