A boat carrying over 160 passengers capsizes on the River Niger in northwestern Nigeria, leaving dozens of people missing and presumed dead.
The passengers, mostly women and children, were travelling from Niger to Kebbi states when the boat capsized on Wednesday morning, according to the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC).
According to eyewitnesses, the boat had more than 160 people on board when it split in half in the middle of the river.
Authorities in Kebbi State told the BBC that water divers and rescue agencies were searching for the passengers.
22 people have been rescued so far.
Boat accidents are prevalent along the Niger River, particularly when the water level increases after heavy rain.
ALSO READ : BREAKING: Confusion As Ifeanyi Okowa Says “Delta Hasn’t Received Returned £4.2m Ibori Loot
Overcrowding or collisions with river tree trunks are also blamed for some accidents.
A similar catastrophe in the neighbourhood killed eight people last September.
Hot Jobs In Nigeria
- Nigerian Breweries Graduate Management Development Scheme 2022
- Jobs in Nigeria Today at FHON Consulting Limited
- Shell Petroleum Development Company SPDC 2022 Recruitment for Graduates
- FMDQ Holdings Plc Graduate Development Programme 2022
- BUA Group Graduate Trainee Recruitment 2022
- Landmark University Recruitment for Non Academic staff