Faisal Maina was found guilty on three counts of money laundering by the Presiding Justice, Okon Abang.
According to Judge, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC was successful in establishing that Faisal had been operating a fictitious bank account with the United Bank for Africa, UBA, through which his father, Maina, had been laundering the sum of N58.1million.
Defendant and his father allegedly withdrew money from an account that was operated under the name ‘Alhaji Faisal Farm 2’ between October 2013 and June 2019. According to court documents, the money was withheld from the account and used to operate the farm.
The judge expressed satisfaction with the EFCC’s case against the accused, adding that Faisal should have been aware that the inflows into the bank account were the proceeds of his father’s illegal act of corruption.
In count 1 and 3 of the charge, the defendant was sentenced to 5 years in prison; however, in count 2 of the charge, the defendant was sentenced to 14 years in prison.
Faisal, who is standing trial on charges of money laundering, had jumped bail refusing to attend trial since November 24, 2020.
Lawyer to the anti-graft agency, Mohammed Abubakar, had said from the information at the disposal of the commission, that Faisal Maina sneaked to the USA through the Republic of Niger despite his Nigerian and American passports still with the registry of the court.
“We have a bench warrant of the court for the arrest of the defendant and his apprehension before the court.
“We have been making serious efforts to execute the bench warrant but it has met challenges. The defendant has absconded to the USA,” the EFCC lawyer told the court.
Faisal Maina’s lawyer, Anayo Adibe, however, disputed the claim of the prosecution as he insists that his client was arrested by the Nigeria Police Force in Sokoto.
He urged the court to open an inquiry as to the true whereabouts of his client.
Thanks for reading Faisal Maina sentenced to 24 years imprisonment. Also read : Breaking: Fire guts Federal Secretariat Complex, Abuja (Photos/Video)
Hot Jobs In Nigeria
- Citibank Nigeria Limited Recruitment for Entry Level Tellers
- Massive Recruitment at Dangote Refinery for Graduates
- Massive Recruitment at First Bank of Nigeria Limited
- Nigerian Breweries Plc Recruitment for Senior Regulatory Affairs Manager
- Kaduna State Residents Registration Agency (KADSRRA) Massive Recruitment
- US Embassy Recruitment In Nigeria ( Apply Here for free )
- LifeBank Recruitment 2021 (Apply here for free)
- United Nigeria Airlines Recruitment for Baggage Handler (Entry-level)
- Delta State Hospital Management Board Recruitment 2021 for Graduate Internship