Mathew Kukah, the Bishop of Sokoto Diocese of the Catholic Church, has said that Northern Nigeria must drastically change.
Kukah stated this on Thursday, while speaking at a colloquium organised by the Open Society Initiative for West Africa (OSIWA) in Abuja.
The cleric also described Abdulaziz Yari, governor of Zamfara State, as a “diaspora governor”.
Yari has been accused of abandoning his state for the nation’s capital.
Responding to an issue raised by Aisha Yesufu, an activist, Kukah said: “You talk about the governor relinquishing his position. That is a governor in diaspora. I am opposed to state police. Can a Christian join Hisbah (sharia police). Northern Nigeria has to drastically change.”
Yesufu had commented about the decision of Yari to resign as Chief Security Officer (CSO) of the state.
The Bishop added that one of the greatest tragedies of the country was leadership.
“One of the greatest tragedy has been, we call it leadership, where it is even more disastrous because all the leaders – I call them office holders hardly qualify in every sense of the word. You can’t be a leader without the text, you can’t be a leader without a philosophy.
“People followed Sardauna for a reason, they followed Aminu Kano for a reason. This is the only country that from independence till date we have not had anybody with clear evidence that they sat down, thought through, analysed the problems of Nigeria and put themselves forward to solve the problems of Nigeria.
“From Tafawa Balewa right through Shehu Shagari to Buhari. Every officer holder as president have come reluctant,” Kukaha added.
Job Vacancies in Nigeria
- Ends Soon : Greenwich Merchant Bank (GMB) Graduate Trainee Program (GGTP4.0) 2021
- National Agency for the Control of AIDS NACA Recruitment 2021 for Finance Officer
- UNICEF Recruitment 2021 for Graduates in Nigeria (September)
- Massive Recruitment in an Indigenous Non-profit and Non-governmental Organization
- Massive recruitment at Achievers University for Academic and Non-Academic Staff ( 106 Slots )
- Nationwide Massive Recruitment for Relationship Officers at United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA)
- Current Job Vacancies at Wateraid Nigeria