The bill will ensure free, fair and credible election in Nigeria
The Bill to ensure electronic voting and direct transmission of results from polling units to a central database passed its second reading on the floor of the Nigerian senate on Wednesday November 20th 2019.
The Bill titled ‘A Bill for an Act to amend the Electoral Act, 2020’ . The bill was sponsored by Deputy Senate President, the senator representing Delta Central, Senator Omo-Agege.
According to the Senator Ovie Omo-Agege, the Bill is aimed at ensuring Nigeria’s elections are free, fair and credible.
“To achieve this, our electoral laws must be sound and up to date in order to respond adequately to new challenges that come with changing times and human behaviours.
“This is a response in part to a plethora of Supreme Court decisions directly or indirectly calling upon the National Assembly to act pointing out that the apex Court has persistently done this regarding INECs introduction of modern technologies into the electoral process, especially accreditation of voters” he said.
If passed, INEC will be compelled to operate an electronic database into which all results in an election should be transmitted. The data of accredited voters will also be transmitted to the central database upon the conclusion of the accreditation of voters which would be done through the use of the card reader.
After the conclusion of debates on the general principle of the bill, it has been referred to the senate committee on the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) with a directive to report back within four weeks.
Hot Jobs In Nigeria
- Nationwide Massive Recruitment for Relationship Officers at United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA)
- Massive recruitment at Achievers University for Academic and Non-Academic Staff ( 106 Slots )
- Delta State Ministry of Technical Education Massive Recruitment for Graduates
- UNICEF Recruitment 2021 for Graduates in Nigeria (September)
- Massive Job Recruitment at GPC Energy and Logistics Limited
- National Agency for the Control of AIDS NACA Recruitment 2021 for Finance Officer
- Ends Soon : Greenwich Merchant Bank (GMB) Graduate Trainee Program (GGTP4.0) 2021
- Massive Job Recruitment in a Leading Group of Companies
- Current Job Vacancies at Wateraid Nigeria
- Massive Recruitment in an Indigenous Non-profit and Non-governmental Organization