The House of Representatives has passed its second reading of a bill that would allow a president to be impeached after 30 days without a cabinet.
READ ALSO : Todays Npower News for May 19 2021 ( Sadiya Farouq Announces Date for Npower Physical Verification )
The bill, which offers the President a 30-day window to choose his cabinet, passed its first reading in December 2021 and is sponsored by Kpam Sokpo, a Benue state legislator.
The following are some of the provisions of the bill:
Section 19(1) of the proposed bill stipulates that “the president shall on assumption of office, appoint ministers within 30 days from the date he took the oath of office.”
Section 19(2) of the bill provides that “the president shall constitute and appoint all boards of government agencies and parastatal that are due for constitution and appointment within two months from the date of his assumption of office.”
Section 19(3) stipulates that the president “shall be guilty of a misconduct as provided under section 143 (2) (b) of the Constitution” if he fails to comply with the provisions of the proposed bill. It also outlined how the president can be impeached when he is guilty of “gross misconduct in the
performance of the functions of his office”.
Sokpo who maintained that the law will ensure smooth transition of power, said;
“This bill seeks to provide for the procedure and ceremony for transition and assumption of the office of the president, and vice-president-elect by the president-elect and vice-president-elect, and to facilitate the handover process by the outgoing president and vice-president of the federal republic of Nigeria.”
Hot Jobs In Nigeria
- Delta State Ministry of Technical Education Massive Recruitment for Graduates
- Massive Job Recruitment at GPC Energy and Logistics Limited
- UNICEF Recruitment 2021 for Graduates in Nigeria (September)
- Massive Recruitment in an Indigenous Non-profit and Non-governmental Organization
- Massive Job Recruitment in a Leading Group of Companies
- Massive recruitment at Achievers University for Academic and Non-Academic Staff ( 106 Slots )
- Current Job Vacancies at Wateraid Nigeria
- Ends Soon : Greenwich Merchant Bank (GMB) Graduate Trainee Program (GGTP4.0) 2021
- Nationwide Massive Recruitment for Relationship Officers at United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA)
- National Agency for the Control of AIDS NACA Recruitment 2021 for Finance Officer