The BBC is a world multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, on-line and social networks with a weekly international viewers of 320 million. As a part of an historic multi-million pound growth of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is introducing a variety of recent and thrilling language and regional content material to serve African and international audiences.
We are recruiting to fill the place under:
Job Title: News Editor
Job Reference: BBC/TP/653414/44311
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contract Type: Permanent
Job Category: Journalism
Business Unit: News – WSG World Service
Division: World Service
Reports to (title): Head of West Africa
- Responsible for managing a small workforce of Journalists, with editorial accountability for a small programme or service.
CHECK THIS JOB : Vacancies at Enercom Solutions Nigeria Limited ( 4 Positions )
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Lead on digital transformation of the service
- Seek ways to extend range in our workforce and to make sure that our output displays the audiences we serve
- Assist within the improvement, commissioning and administration of related enterprise plans and handle particular person programme budgets, guaranteeing worth for cash in use of sources
- To act as a facilitator of change, clearly speaking and sharing greatest practices are shared between groups
- Foster an surroundings of productive worker relations and responding to and anticipating challenges from workers, unions and audiences
- Responsible for guaranteeing secure working practices and the observance of BBC’s well being and security laws, together with finishing hazard assessments
- Develop and preserve excessive skilled requirements of journalism, guaranteeing supply of top of the range information programmes.
ALSO CHECK THIS : A New Commercial Bank in Nigeria : Graduate Executive Trainees
- Determine the content material and operating order of the programme and lead others on the manufacturing of things by way of to transmission, together with assigning, briefing and figuring out priorities for operational and editorial groups
- Continue the event of the programme throughout social media and digital platforms, exploring the potential for increasing
- Responsible for constructing morale/workforce spirit inside everlasting or momentary groups; guaranteeing the most effective use of particular person expertise/skills. Encouraging workforce members to consider do issues higher
- Sets difficult workforce and particular person targets and trusts people to get on with them, shares clear expectations about required efficiency ranges, rewards success and addresses efficiency points shortly and pretty, treats workforce members with
Additional job particular duties and accountabilities:
- A full command and updated information of Hausa (first or equal)
- An intensive information and understanding of stories and present affairs within the goal areas and a working information of areas of Africa outdoors your goal space. An intensive information of, and curiosity in, worldwide and British present affairs, as they have an effect on the goal areas.
- An intensive information of the media scenario within the goal space and the way it’s creating. Ability to anticipate adjustments available in the market and to plan and information the Service’s output accordingly.
- Ability to contribute to BBC World Service regional technique and to perform as an efficient member of the BBC Africa Direction workforce.
- Fluent in English, each in written and spoken type
- Deep understanding of digital expertise and the web and actual information of the potential of recent expertise is crucial.
- A observe file of unique present affairs journalism on multimedia platforms with an in depth information of the Nigerian media panorama and its wants at a time of quick altering consumption habits by our audiences.
- Wide, thorough and updated familiarity with the areas in Africa to which the Service broadcasts and an in-depth understanding of the areas’ historical past, politics, social points and tradition in addition to the altering wants of the viewers.
Knowledge, Skills, Training and Experience
- Either an expert journalist or a senior operational skilled with intensive editorial expertise of broadcast information and the flexibility to develop and implement new and modern approaches to programme construction and content material
- Able to prioritise and plan actions bearing in mind all of the related points and components reminiscent of deadlines, staffing, programme budgets and useful resource necessities
- Ability to write down creatively in an interesting method, adapt, produce and translate with accuracy, readability and elegance applicable to differing audiences and types of media appropriate for multimedia output
- Maintains private effectiveness by managing personal feelings within the face of strain, set backs or when coping with provocative conditions. Demonstrates an strategy to work that’s characterised by dedication, motivation and power
- An intensive information of the BBC’s Guidelines (together with Health & Safety) and the editorial concerns and values regarding BBC
- Proven editorial judgement and aptitude, in a position to make sound choices shortly
- An in depth understanding of the newest strategies and expertise for newsgathering and manufacturing. An skill to make use of new applied sciences to create alternatives to boost output and enhance working practices
- Ability to work successfully as a member of a couple of workforce. Resolving conflicts as obligatory.
- Can determine a imaginative and prescient together with the plans which have to be carried out to satisfy the top objective. Evaluates conditions, choices, points and many others. within the brief, medium and longer-term
- Demonstrates a dedication to enhancing range within the BBC and understands how particular person variations can profit the BBC
- High degree of accountability and decision making; in a position to function alone.
- Typically immediately manages a gaggle of SBJs and/or a small variety of Assistant Editors. Typically accountable for workforce measurement below 40 people.
Deadline: 25th October, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and certified candidates ought to:
Click here to apply online