The immediate past President of the Senate, Senator David Mark, has faulted the attempt to impeach Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue State as null and void.
Senator Mark said this on Monday, hours after eight members of the Benue State House of Assembly on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC) served an impeachment notice on the governor.
Reacting to the development in a statement by his media assistant Paul Mumeh, he said such an attempt was at best an exercise in futility.
“It is unconstitutional and devoid of any known legislative practices and procedures,” the former Senate President said. “I will advise members of the Benue State House of Assembly to be guided by the Constitution and legislative rules and procedures.
PAY ATTENTION TO: Nigeria Army Recovers Arms Cache in Hometown of Goodluck Jonathan
They should not engage in any act that could undermine the established tenet of democracy.”
DONT MISS: Senate have no power to suspend me
He added, “The action of some members of Benue state House of Assembly violates section 188(2) of the 1999 constitution (as amended) which requires that a notice of impeachment has to be supported by at least one-third of the members of the House to be valid. This is obviously not the case here.”
Hot Jobs In Nigeria
- UNICEF Recruitment 2021 for Graduates in Nigeria (September)
- Ends Soon : Greenwich Merchant Bank (GMB) Graduate Trainee Program (GGTP4.0) 2021
- Massive Recruitment in an Indigenous Non-profit and Non-governmental Organization
- Massive recruitment at Achievers University for Academic and Non-Academic Staff ( 106 Slots )
- National Agency for the Control of AIDS NACA Recruitment 2021 for Finance Officer
- Massive Job Recruitment in a Leading Group of Companies
- Massive Job Recruitment at GPC Energy and Logistics Limited
- Current Job Vacancies at Wateraid Nigeria
- Nationwide Massive Recruitment for Relationship Officers at United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA)