The Chairman, Senate Committee on Tertiary Education, Sen. Jibrin Barau, on Friday said efforts were being made to speedily meet the demands of striking university lecturers.
Barau gave the assurance during an inspection of projects by the commitee at the University of Lagos.
Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), on November 5, embarked on what they described as a comprehensive, total and indefinite nationwide strike to drive home their demands.
The lecturers are protesting non-implementation of an agreement they entered into with the Federal Government.
They are also demanding implementation of a Memorandum of Action (MoA) they also entered into with the Federal Government in 2017.
The university teachers are equally seeking improved facilities in the university system as well as enhanced welfare.
Barau said that members of the upper legislative chamber were displeased with the strike.
According to him, what is needed at the moment is an approach that would ensure that ASUU and the Federal Government would reach a common ground fast.
”I must tell you that we are not happy with this strike because we cannot continue like this”, NAN quoted the lawmaker as saying.
”I have personally sponsored a bill to see how the Federal Government and ASUU can reach a common ground concerning the demands of these lecturers.
”As the committee chairman, I have been trying to interface between ASUU and the Federal Government.
”ASUU on its part too should be considerate as the Federal Government may not have all it takes to meet most of its demands now,” he said.
Hot Jobs In Nigeria
- Ends Soon : Greenwich Merchant Bank (GMB) Graduate Trainee Program (GGTP4.0) 2021
- Massive Job Recruitment at GPC Energy and Logistics Limited
- National Agency for the Control of AIDS NACA Recruitment 2021 for Finance Officer
- Massive Recruitment in an Indigenous Non-profit and Non-governmental Organization
- Current Job Vacancies at Wateraid Nigeria
- Massive Job Recruitment in a Leading Group of Companies
- Nationwide Massive Recruitment for Relationship Officers at United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA)
- Massive recruitment at Achievers University for Academic and Non-Academic Staff ( 106 Slots )
- UNICEF Recruitment 2021 for Graduates in Nigeria (September)