An All Progressives Congress House of Representatives member, Akin Alabi has filed a motion before the House of Representatives asking for an urgent dissolution of the dreaded police special anti-robbery squad, SARS.
Mr. Alabi represents the good people of Egbeda/Ona Ara Federal constituency in Oyo State.
He said there is enough evidence in the public domain to proscribe SARS immediately, warning that the unit has committed enough atrocities.
Mr. Alabi said SARS operatives have become so lawless that even the police inspector-general can no longer contain their excesses, decrying how Nigerians now harbour untold fear of the deadly and corrupt unit.
“Policing in Nigeria continues to fall short of modern practices where citizens should be treated with utmost respect and decorum, therefore making it very difficult for an average citizen to truly trust that the police are their friends,” Mr. Alabi said.
Lawmakers were notified of the motion today and would likely be considered at a plenary this week.
The demand came after widespread outcry against SARS deadly and crooked conduct led to an emotional weekend for the country.
Inspector-General Muhammed Adamu responded to the outrage by announcing yet another restriction of SARS officers from the road, a decision Nigerians, including Mr. Alabi, said was superfluous and did not go far enough.
Hot Nigerian Jobs | Share To Job Seekers [ Apply Now ]
- Frsc Recruitment 2021 July/August Form Portal | Apply Here | FRSC recruitment Login Portal
- United Capital Group Plc (UCAP) Graduate Trainee Program 2021
- Delta State Urban Water Corporation Recruitment For Graduates and SSCE
- Job for Depot Assistant in an Oil and Gas Company based in Port Harcourt
- Vitafoam Nigeria Plc Job Recruitment for Graduates
- Nigerian Air Force DSSC Recruitment 2021 Portal Is Now Open