The Katsina State Police Command has confirmed the attack that occurred at Government Science Secondary School, Kankara, in the early hours of Saturday, December 12.
A statement released by the spokesman for the command, SP Gambo Isah, said 200 of the students have returned to the school.
“On Friday around 11:30 p.m., gunmen in their numbers attacked the school with dangerous weapons.
They began to shoot and engaged our men guarding the school in a duel. That gave some students an opportunity to jump over the fence and run into the town for safety. The gunmen also shot one of the security guards at the gate who is presently responding to treatment.
The Divisional Police Office in Kankara quickly mobilised security personnel and moved to the area with Armoured Personnel Carrier and engaged the hoodlums in a gun duel, forcing the gunmen to retreat.
More than 200 students who jumped over the school fence into the town to hide have returned” he said
Isah said that the police and school authorities were working together to find out the exact number of students that have not returned.
“We cannot say that some students have been kidnapped because we believe they are still coming back from their hiding places,” he said.
Meanwhile, journalist, Jaafar Jaafar, says 600 students are reportedly missing from the school after the attack.
Katsina School news | Katsina news
Job Vacancies in Nigeria
- UNICEF Recruitment 2021 for Graduates in Nigeria (September)
- National Agency for the Control of AIDS NACA Recruitment 2021 for Finance Officer
- Nationwide Massive Recruitment for Relationship Officers at United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA)
- Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority NSIA Recruitment 2021 For Graduates
- Current Job Vacancies at Wateraid Nigeria