Anthony Joshua Breaks Silence After Car Crash That Killed Two Close Aides

0

Advertisements

Former world heavyweight boxing champion Anthony Joshua has spoken publicly for the first time following a fatal road accident in Nigeria that claimed the lives of two members of his close support team.

In a video published on his official YouTube channel, Joshua addressed the tragedy that occurred on December 29 on the Lagos–Ibadan expressway, where a sports utility vehicle he was travelling in collided with a stationary truck. The crash resulted in the deaths of his personal trainer, Abdul Latif Kevin Ayodele, and his strength and conditioning coach, Sina Ghami. Joshua sustained minor injuries.

Ejes Gist News reports that the British boxer, speaking directly to the camera, described the deceased as his “brothers” and struggled to contain his emotions as he reflected on their loss.

Advertisements

“I know what I have got to do,” Joshua said. “I’m going to do what is right by them, do what is right by their family, and it is about what is important.”

Tributes to Ayodele and Ghami

Joshua said he remained committed to supporting the families of Ayodele and Ghami, noting that he understood their personal ambitions and responsibilities.

Advertisements

“I understand what they wanted to do for their families, and my goal is to continue to help them achieve their goals,” he added.

Ayodele served as Joshua’s personal trainer, while Ghami was responsible for his strength and conditioning programme. Both men died at the scene of the accident, according to reports.

Boxing Future Remains Unclear

Joshua offered little detail about his immediate boxing plans but stated that “the mission must go on,” while emphasising that his focus was not on legacy but on doing what he considered right in the circumstances.

“It ain’t about legacy. It’s just about doing what is right,” he said.

The accident occurred weeks after Joshua defeated YouTuber-turned-boxer Jake Paul in Miami, a bout that kept him in contention for a potential high-profile fight against fellow British heavyweight Tyson Fury. Fury has since confirmed a return to the ring and is scheduled to face Arslanbek Makhmudov on April 11.

The proposed all-British heavyweight showdown between Joshua and Fury remains uncertain, with speculation over whether Joshua may consider stepping away from the sport following the tragedy.

Support From Promoter

Joshua’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, has publicly stated that the boxer will be given sufficient time to grieve and recover emotionally before making any career decisions.

Earlier in January, Joshua shared footage of himself back in the gym, describing light training sessions as “mental strength therapy.”

In his latest message, Joshua reflected on loss and mortality, saying the experience had altered his perspective.

“One day my time will come, and I’m not scared,” he said. “It’s comforting knowing that I’ve got two brothers on the other side.”

The video marked Joshua’s first on-camera appearance since the accident and offered a rare insight into the personal impact of the tragedy on the former heavyweight champion.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.